Thursday, July 5, 2007

They are not more than meets the eye

So I missed a day of blogging. Yesterday I went to a cook-out to celebrate my friend David's birthday. It was great fun. David's birthday was the 1st of July but he works for Apple and was too busy launching the iPhone to celebrate his birthday so we celebrated on the birthday of the United States instead. But it was not only the country's birthday it was also my dad's birthday. That's right R.J. Dixon was born on the 4th of July in 1940. It was a perfect, PERFECT, day here. Wonderful day to spend in a park with people I love. And we had hamburgers, mmm hamburgers.

But now here is the real focus of today's blog: Last night instead of seeing fireworks we saw the Transformers movie. You may ask why would you do something like that. Well to be honest now I don't really know. David and many of my friends grew up with Transformers, the cartoon. I remember Transformers but it was towards the end of me being a kid. So I don't remember a lot about it. David loved the transformers; all my other friends loved the transformers so we went to the movie. But what I will say is that the movie, in my opinion, was bad, B-A-D, bad. Most of the people I was with enjoyed it so I'm glad that the birthday boy got exactly what he wanted and I enjoyed their company. Again I love these people, so even seeing a bad movie with them is better than not being with them. Now here is why, though, I did not like the movie. First, again it was too long. It was over two hours. Why? Why would you make a movie based on a cartoon about alien robots that transform into automobiles so long? Seriously!!! Second, the robots were introduced so quickly that I couldn't keep up with who was who. Who was a bad guy, who was a good guy? Third, too many humans talking. Seriously the dialogue from the humans was lame. And they talked too much at weird times. Fourth, too many superfluous human characters. And it goes without saying that they also talked too much. Fifth, It felt like a US army recruiting film. The propaganda was too much. Here was a film geared towards teenage boys and it made out the soldiers to be these superheros. If I am paying $10 I do not want that to be for an army commercial. Think those commercials where the soldier comes home and the father says to him "I knew you were a man, because you shook my hand and you looked me in the eye." And that is a good bit of the dialogue in this movie. Honestly, the more I think and write about it the angrier I get.

So those are just a few of my complaints about Transfomers. It is not more than meets the eye. It is exactly what meets the eye. But again I had a fantastic day--good food and people that I love. Who could ask for anything more? Alright, well I would have liked a better movie. Oh well.

Still singing the theme song in my head.

No comments: