Monday, July 2, 2007

Evening

Before I move on to the main topic of this post, I have to bitch just a little bit. I could not find my cereal again today. It was as if there had been a rush on Kashi. The only Kashi available was the puff Kashi and the Kashi in the orange box with the old people on it. Was there some recall on Kashi Go Lean Crunch that I should know about? Am I ever going to be able to find Kashi GLC again? I'll miss its crunchy fiber goodness.
Alright now on to the main point of this post (Oh wait one more thing. When you use the turn signal on your car do al of us a favor and turn it on before you actually stop, immediately before you turn. The whole idea is to warn the people behind you that you are turning. Seriously a pet peave. I know some of you don't drive and some of you already use your turn signal properly. But for the rest of you, do it! And tell your friends and encourage them to tell their friends and so on and so on.) So today I went to see the movie Evening. It is the one with every actress in hollywod in it. It was really beautiful. I love a good romantic ill-fated love story. And this one is a doozy. Yes I was crying a bit in the end. And it brought about two thoughts.
First, I've got to stop going to movies like this. Because when I do I come away thinking why can't I be swept off my feet in some glorious melodramatic romance. Perhaps I'm still single because I'm waiting for my Darcy, the brooding hero of Pride and Prejudice. I want someone to be swept off my feet. I think i've been screwed by Jane Austen and Merchant and Ivory. So for those of you who are in love, those of you who have found yrou partner for life, tell me is he or she Mr.Darcy. Did they sweep you off your feet? Was their a sweeping score that played behind your love story?
Second, at the end of my life I wander what I'll feel about the life I've lived. In the movie the main character is at the end of her life and she is remembering what she calls her first mistake along side the story fo her one great love. It wasn't that she was living with regrets exactly but more so that it was a life that had involved great heart ache. It was a life that her two daughters interpreted quite differently. One saw it as a life full of passion and beauty and one as a life of unfulfilled dreams. In the end a character said that there are no mistakes. I like to believe that. Each moment, each step we take is just that, a moment, a step. But in those moments do we make wrong decisions or just decisions? And can a decision that at the moment seem so perfect, a decision that give us great joy, become a decision that brings us grief and sadness? I think the answer to these questions is yes. I want to live life in a way that savors each moment and live in the emotions that come along with them.
I think there is also a very good possibility that I am wallowing in melodramatic thought brought about from too many violins in the movie's score. Whatever, I liked the movie.

2 comments:

Rev. K.T. said...

You make me want to go see the movie. As for being swept off my feet . . . well, I was in my early 20s and much more vulnerable then. But to an extent I'd say he did sweep me off of my feet. I've been reading these romantic novels lately and I read how one kiss can bring the hero/heroine to their knees. But it's true. Sappy, but true. I met Bill and within minutes I knew I would marry him if he would have me. I uttered those crazy words -- "I feel like I've known you all my life" -- before I had a clue what the rest of my life would look like. It was like our souls connected or something wierd like that. I still melt whenever he kisses me and that's saying a lot after 12 years of marriage. But it's not always like that. There are days when I wonder what the heck I was thinking. So, even swept off my feet I sometimes feel that emotions limit visibility a bit. I'm rooting for you, Friend. Someday your prince will come!!!

SEA PuddinHead said...

Oh Brian! You big softie! There's something to be said about living our lives through movies. For the longest time, I always thought that I would meet someone through that crowded room, eyes meeting from afar, spending to whole night together, and then get laid! Of course, waking the next morning hoping that it was the same person you met the night before, with breakfast bed (waffles with strawberries and whip cream, which was found underneath the bed, coffee, and juice), a romantic shower together, and off on a road trip (of course, you would have to by your travel clothes, and toiletries on the way) (BIG SIGH)
One can dream. However, I still enjoy the instant chemistry, the gigginess, the long phone conversation about nothing, and allowing someone to grow on you, like Darren. And here we are 5 years later. I'm surprised he hasn't killed me yet!!