Thursday, July 26, 2007

Nuts!!!

First of all I'm kind of tired of my sister and my niece. Mostly I'm just tired. I know it has just been a few days. But I'm sleeping on my pull out sofa. (Now the sofa is very comfortable, much, much more comfortable than a regular pull-out. Ask anyone who has slept on it. This is so you know when you come and visit you'll have a comfortable place to sleep. But it is still not my bed.) I'm sleeping on the pull-out sofa because they go to bed so early. This morning I was awaken (awoken? I don't know.) at about 4 because my niece was breaking out in a rash. We don't know what from. And of course I didn't have anything to put on it. Really we still have no idea. It can't be my bed because it wasn't the first night she was in the bed. She had shrimp for dinner but that was about 12 hours earlier. However, I really do think that is what it was. So anyway they tried a shower and the rash kept spreading. They tried a bath and baking soda. Finally at 7 AM my sister came in and asked where the closest drug store was. So I threw on my shoes and a hat (I had on pajamas, the city isn't that open.) and headed out to the grocery store to buy benadryl, tablets and lotion, and calamine lotion. The benadryl seemed to help. But by that time it was time for me to get up. And I've been going ever since.

We went to the Winchester Mystery House. The WMH was built by Mrs. Winchester who was the wife of the 2nd president of the Winchester Rifle Co. It is a crazy house in San Jose. There are doors that lead to nowhere, windows that lead to nowhere. She was crazy superstitious. After the 1906 earthquake she decided that it was because she had been spending too much time working on the front of the house. So she had the whole front of the house boarded up and was never used again. This means that the damage of the earthquake was never repaired. Also the fancy Tiffany glass front doors were never used because they were installed shortly before the earthquake. She was basically always adding on because apparently the "spirits" told her too. Probably in her seance room. She never used an archtect. She just told one of her 13 on-staff carpenters to add on a room here or there or whatever. (Notice she had 13 carpenters. Apparently that was intentional, again the spirts.) Now here is the thing to most people this probably seem really crazy. However, to me and my sister it wasn't that odd because we grew up in my parent's house. They weren't rich and they didn't have seances, but my dad was constanly building on or doing something to the house. And it was always somewhat half-ass. He would just cut into walls or cover them up without any reall skill. A full height ceiling isn't all that necessary in the WMH and it wasn't in my parents house either. So to my sister and I this was just like visiting home. Also, seriously this woman was just nuts (I don't think my dad is nuts he is just an unskilled carpenter.) Because she was rich people probably caller her eccentric. But we all know that if she were poor she would be pulling a dog around in a little red wagon and her name would probably be something like nub or digger. And people would just call her crazy.

Finally, first of all it is 8:30 and my sister and niece are already asleep. Second, the food thing is still a problem. Tonight we ordered Chinese. And they wanted Shrimp Fried Rice and Bourbon Chicken. Bourbon Chicken? Bourbon is not from China. They claim that this is at every Chinese restaurant. But of course it was not at the Chinese restaurant that we ordered from. When I asked my sister and niece what bourbon chicken was they said it was chicken in a bourbon sauce--not very helpful. So I suggested cashew chicken or chicken and broccoli. Benign enough or so I thought. Nope. Apparently they don't like (a) nuts with chicken. (My sister aslo doesn't like fruit in salads. Found that out last night. When there was this delicious specialty salad that had apples and pears.) and (b) vegetables. My sister said go ahead and order cashew chicken. I was eating cashew chicken by myself. i also ordered pot stickers. Seriously they are fried. How can that be wrong? Well my sister ate one and my niece took a bite of one. This basically mean I ate 5 pot stickers. So I don't know if I'm tired of them or just tired. Or just bloated. (Oh and they spread out like a weeks wash. Stuff is everywhere. And my brother-in-law smokes like a chimney. So that means all their stuff that smells like cigarette smoke. That means my bedroom now smells like smoke. Maybe I'm just anal retentive. ) I love them but they are making me crazy!

2 comments:

Rev. K.T. said...

OK, I'm wondering, if she might possibly have been allergic to shrimp, why did they want the shrimp fried rice? But I have to tell you, I know bourbon chicken . . . granted, I live less than 100 miles from your sister, but next time you're down I'll have to treat you to it. Unbelievably, it's NOT fried -- I know, hard to believe in FL, huh?! I'm guessing it's not a Chinese dish, but then again, neither is the pizza or macaroni & cheese typically found on our Chinese buffets . . .

SEA PuddinHead said...

Bourbon Chicken is just Teriyaki Chicken, Chinese Style! And didn't you know that bourbon was originally an from the Guangzhou province in China. It's just sweetened fermented brown rice wine!!