I don't even know where to begin. I'll start with what you all least want to hear about, i.e. anything that is not Harry Potter. So San Diego was great. I'm back in San Francisco now. Yesterday we went to the beach. It was beautiful and I was actually able to get in the water. Now I couldn't stay in for very long, but for the time I did spend my feet didn't turn blue. That is what would have happened if I had gotten into the water at a beach in San Francisco. There were a ton of families on the beach. What I mean by that is that there were a lot of kids. There was this one little boy who apparently didn't like the toys his family brought for him so he kept going to this other blanket and taking this other little boy's toys. It was cute. By the way his grandmother was a bleach blond in a bikini. I'm guessing he is going to have to work that out in therapy. I say when you become a grandmother it is at least time to put away the bikini and probably the bottle of bleach as well.
Then we went home and Mark barbecued ribs. (Some of you say that reading my blog often makes you hungry. I do blog about food a lot. I just love food.) Well anyway these ribs were fantastic. They cooked slowly on the grill for several hours over hickory chips. They included a rub, a mop sauce and then a barbecue sauce. All of which we made nothing store bought. Oh dear lord were these ribs good. I ate so many I felt sick afterwards. They were so good.
Now on to Harry Potter. I really enjoyed it. Obviously they had to leave a lot out of the book since the book is so long. In turn I think a lot of the characters were underused. Draco Malfoy was hardly in it at all. Which seemed odd, since he plays such a large role in the sixth book. And they didn't introduce the bureau that is in the room of whatever you need most. This is also important as it is the way the death eaters get into hogwarts in the sixth book. I think it is also amazing that they get people like Maggie Smith and Emma Thompson to show up and say maybe two or three lines. Imelda Staunton who played Dolores Umbridge is really great. She is just evil. Also at the end when, as I remember it from the book, only Harry and Voldemort are the ones to hear the prophecy instead Harry and all the other kids hear the prophecy and Voldemort doesn't. But I might not remember the book that well. But again I really liked it. If you enjoy the books and the other movies go see this one.
Now here is the best part of going to see the movie. His name was Go-Go. Apparently, it was the shul's night to go see the Harry Potter movie. Because there was this big group of jewish teenagers sitting behind us. I could tell by the yamulkes and tsitses. They seemed to be really good kids. But for a while before the movie started they were all talking about this other member of the group Go-go. (I'm assuming that is not his given name. I don't remember any Go-gos from the Hebrew Bible.) Everyone wanted to sit next to Go-go. So Go-go gets there and he seems to be quite the character. He worked out this system of getting free gym memberships out of 24Hour Fitness. Apparently they have a special free 7 day membership. So he is planning to go from 24 Hour fitness to 24 Hour fitness using up the 7 day trial memberships. I kind of love Go-Go. Well here is the thing, Go-go was a hit until this other guy, Avi, called one of them and said he was on his way. Then it became Avi is sitting here you have to move Go-go. I felt bad for Go-go. (I sneezed during the movie and this chorus of bless yous came from this little Jewish clan. It was fantastic.)
Alright, I've written too much. This is what happens when I don't blog for several days. (I'm not editing this because it is so long. So I apologize for the misspellings. I think I may even have misspelled misspell. Does it just have on s?)
Less than 7 days until the release of the 7th Harry Potter Book. Yay.
Peace.
4 comments:
Love the chorus of Jewish "bless you's." Don't know if you are circumcised or not (don't need to know!), but I'd say you were officially made a chosen one with that chorus. 6 days until potter!
Alright, I'll be the damned fundamentalist correcting the scripture citation. In the fifth book, which I've just reread (and am working on the sixth in anticipation of the seventh--who needs to be working on overdue term papers, anyhow?), nobody actually hears the prophecy. The sphere breaks in the course of battle, no one makes out the words, and Dumbledore shares it with Harry afterward. Then Harry repeats it to Hermione and Ron in the early part of Book the Sixth.
Cagey-C I stand corrected. Thanks
I still haven't gotten to see the movie :( On the night I was supposed to go, I got a phone call that a parishioner had died and so spent a couple hours dealing with that and was then too tired and emotionally not in the right place to watch Harry Potter. I've been at camp all week and just got back last night and was again too tired to venture to the movies (I was in bed and asleep by 9:30pm, which is unheard of for me). I'd love to go today but the sermon writing still awaits, so I think it will have to be tomorrow instead. And I don't have the book yet either. But I start two weeks of vacation on Friday morning, including double-digits hours of travel time, so I'm looking forward to reading it then.
Post a Comment