Friday, July 20, 2007

Harry, Dolly, and Earthquakes

Argh, too many things to talk about today:

(1) The Harry Potter book arrives tomorrow. Yay!!! I hope the mail comes early because I have plans tomorrow night. And I want as much time as possible to read before I have to leave.

(2) They have begun to work on Nine to Five the musical. The songs have been written by Dolly Parton. They had a staged reading this week. Allison Janney is playing the Lily Tomlin role. Joe Mantello who directed Wicked is directing. The New York Post is reporting that it is getting good buzz. Can I just tell you how excited about this I am? Seriously, I love, love, love Dolly Parton. And I will beg, steal, and borrow to get to this show. Dolly is not in the show, which I guess I am alright with. It will most likely be staged in 2008-2009 season. WooHoo!!!!

(3) Why do earthquakes always happen in the middle of the night? (Also, why does the battery to the smoke detector always need to be replaced in the middle of night. You know it starts to make that awful chirping noise that will not stop until the battery is changed. You can't just take the battery out because it still chirps. I don't even have a smoke detector right now because I ripped it down in the middle of the night. Do you remember the Friends episode where this happened to Pheobe and nothing would stop the chirping? She finally dropped it down the garbage shoot but it made its way back.) So anyway we had an earthquake this morning about 4:40. It actually took place north of Oakland and was fairly close to the surface, only about 3 miles down. So even though it was a small earthquake we still felt it in SF. Warning, TMI alert: So here is the problem with earthquakes in the middle of the night. I sleep au naturale, which is French for nothin at all, only what I came into the world wearin, my birthday suit. (This is the second blog about me being naked. I have to confess I like to be naked. I'm naked in my apartment a lot. I live alone, I can walk around the house naked if I want. Don't judge me.) Anyway so my fear is that I am going to be stranded outdoors naked after an earthquake. You know a big earthquake happens and I have to run outside screaming like a little girl because the house is coming down or something. So I have actually hung my robe in a place that I can grab it as I'm running out of the house. Now I'll still only be wearing a robe but hey at least I won't be naked. Because think about it if it is a bad earthquake and I can't get back in the house then I have to beg for clothing and I may be without shoes. (Okay I know the likelihood of me needing to run out the house and not being able to get back in is a very slim possibility, but these are the things I think about.) So I'm wondering should I bury, maybe in one of those vacuum pack space bags, in my back yard a set of clothing and shoes? Because surely i would be able to get in the back yard. This is not something they talk about in earthquake preparedness training. I told you this was going to be too much information. I don't know what you should be shocked by me being naked or actually the thought I might bury a change of clothing in the back yard.

I really have to reattach my smoke detector. Oh well.

Here's hoping your ground is solid and stable.

2 comments:

Rev. K.T. said...

Earthquakes truly freak me out. Although now I think I can say that if I were in one I'd have a lot more to think about than just "I'm going to die!!!" Instead I'd be thinking, "I wonder if Brian is running around naked or if he got his robe on first." or "I wonder how many days of clothes he buried in the backyard, and I really hope the earth didn't 'swallow' the clothes because I'd like to see him again and I was really hoping he'd have shoes and underwear on." so thanks, friend. I think I can handle earthquakes now. The other image that came to my mind was "naked guy" from Friends. Do you keep your blinds open?

Amy W-P said...

Oh Brian. To live in you mind . . . what a trip that would be.