Happy Pride week everyone. Now technically it has been Pride month since the beginning of June. But who are we kidding it is really all about the week leading up to Pride. And if we are honest it is really only about the actual Pride weekend. But hey why be technical or honest. (Alright, I realize that contradicts a previous blog calling us to greater honesty, but you know what I'm saying.) In honor of Pride, all this week I'll be giving you a piece of Pride trivia. (And by all week I mean until I run out of trivial things to say about Pride. I do this all the time. I plan a sermon series that is going to last four weeks or so, say the entire season of Advent. Then about week two I realize I have run out of everything I could possibly say about this particular theme. Then I think well damnit I've still got two weeks left.) So anyway today's piece of Pride trivia is that the movie The Lion King and subsequent musical were all about a pride. Simba left the pride and Simba later returned to the pride. A pride is also the term for a group of lions. Similar to a gaggle of gays, a lodge fulll of lesbians, or a bevy of bisexuals. There you have it your pride trivia for the day.
Today was my day off and I spent much of it rereading the sixth Harry Potter book. I want to be ready for the seventh book when it arrives on my doorstep in July. Yes, I pre-ordered. Months ago. I told you I was a big ol' geek in high school. Well it seems nothing has changed. Now I can't remember if we find this out in the sixth book or not, so forgive me if I say it and it is obvious. But I think Harry might be one of Voldemort's horcrux. If you have forgotten a horcrux is a special object in which part of a wizzard or witch's soul is placed in when he or she kills someone, thus making the killer immortal. At the end of what I have been reading today, Dumbledore has been pondering with Harry the thought that perhaps a horcrux could be a living thing thinking that the snake is one of the horcruxes. But if Harry is a horcrux then he has to be killed in the seventh book in order for Voldemort to die. Thus Harry would be giving his life to defeat evil. Very orthodox Christian thought, don't you think? Boy would the people who are already berating HP for being of the devil be freakin out if he also was then represented as a Christ figure. I also think it is interesting that what differentiates Harry from Voldemort is his ability to love. Wow, did I just spend way too much space talking about Harry Potter. (Seriously, if you ever find me dressed like the boy wizzard wondering around some Harry Potter convention or still worse at the Harry Potter amusement partk, just do me a favor and kill me. Now I will go to the amusement park I just don't want to be in costume. And I would say that even goes for if it is a costume as a part of some sexual role play. But I won't say that because who knows what my future partner might be into. Although, a boy wizzard, that is probably still a little disturbing. I guess it could be okay if I was pretending to be Harry and he was pretending to be Ron. But still I don't think so. Ah, but I ramble.)
I also spent some time in the sun today. Yay for sun. Hope you are enjoying some yourself and that all of you in those really hot places aren't melting in the humidity. Until tomorrow.
1 comment:
I posted a similar thought about Harry Potter on FLHOJ. It seems the "obvious" thing to happen from my Christian background, yet I can't help but wonder how Harry could be a horcrux if Voldemort was trying to KILL baby Harry. That part doesn't add up. Unless Voldemort was only pretending to kill Harry, not thinking that the one thing that would be his lifeblood would also be his curse. But then, why would Voldemort be so intent on killing one of his own horcruxes? unless he didn't MEAN to make Harry a horcrux . . . And then there's that whole thing about Harry's mother's LOVE keeping him alive, not the horcrux thing. If his life is based upon Voldemort's horcrux-ing him only, then his life as the One Who Was Loved By His Mother becomes pretty meaningless, doesn't it? OK, enough rambling by me. I too can't wait for the book. Oh, and Brian, dear geek of the yearbook, wizard is spelled with only 1 "z"!
Post a Comment