Sunday, June 24, 2007

Oh what a night

Wow! So much has happened since the last time that I posted, I don't even really know where to begin.

First, last night I went to see a performance of two episodes of The Golden Girls as performed by drag queens. Yes, you heard me correctly drag queens. Ironically, the performer who was playing Dororthy looked like Bea Arthur--very mannish. And it was hilarious. They even had the lead-in music that was played as you returned from commercials. They also had commercials from that period of time such as "I've fallen and I can't get up." But the best part was where it took place. It was in someone's house. They claimed that it was a "private facility" with "salon style" seating. My ass it was someone's living room with rented chairs. It was like when you were a kid and you did a play for your friends or your family. They strung up a bedspread as a curtain and then when you walked back to the bathroom they had strung up sheets to hide the dressing area from the rest of the house. Esentially, the backstage area was the dining room. And we were piled into the living room in these rented chairs which was better than we thought it was going to be. We were expecting to be sitting on someone's dirty sofa. Oh and you had to walk through their kitchen to get to the bathroom. Now this probably violated a couple law. First copyright laws. Second, some fire code that doesn't allow 50 people to be in a private house. A house that also had rented theatre lights that I'm assuming got pretty hot and used up a lot of electricity.

Then we went out to the Pink Party. This is a "party" the night before the pride parade and festival. It is on Castro street which had been closed off for the event. Now I put the word party in quotes because it really isn't so much a party as it is drunk people walking up and down the street. It was also cold. And then where we decided to stand at one point this group of really, really unnattractive people walked up, one with a painted face that made him look like a professional wrestler. The next thing we knew they were naked. NAKED!!!!!! People were coming over to have their pictures taken with the naked people. Which that is the part I really don't get. Why would you want to have a picture of yourself with an ugly naked guy? I got home about 1 AM and then got back up at 7 this morning to go to work.

I went to worship today. We had a really small number and one of the high school graduates from the methodist church we worship with the fourth Sunday of the month was the "preacher" today. (We share space with this methodist church.) First apparently this guy has not been around at least his entire time in high school, because no one I know even knew his mother had this older son. Second, his "sermon" sounded a lot like a valedictory address that included Jesus occasionally. He used a lot of SAT words. At one point he used the phrase "his personal maxim." Personal maxim, what in the hell is that? I don't even know if I have a personal maxim but according to him he does. I do love that high school students, particularly seniors, think they have it all figured out. I know I did. Most of the people probably didn't hear him anyway. The pastor of the methodist church wasn't there today nor was their music minister or just about anyone else really. This meant that no one was there to set up the sound system. Nice, eh? Oh, well.

Then I went out and met some friends at the Pride festival. It was really a beautiful day for it. The crowds were pretty big. But I got a hot dog and that made it all worth while. I also had this great blueberry lemonade vodka drink that was delicious. But you are not going to believe this, I met my friends at the festival and I look over and who do I see? It is one of the ugly naked guys from last night. Riding up on his bicycle. And he is still naked. Don't you think riding a bicycle naked would be uncomfortable?

It's been quite a weekend. Boy am I beat.

Until tomorrow...

No comments: