A day of nothing. Alright well I did a little but not much. I did some laundry. Some grocery shopping. But I didn't find my cereal of choice, Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Instead, I bought what looks like a new type of Go Lean Crunch with honey and flax. I'm assuming it will be good. I mean how can you go wrong with honey?
I also went to a baking store where I bought edible flowers. Not flowers that grow from the ground and are edible, but instead flowers that are hand made with fondant, basically moldable sugar. I'm baking a cake for a friend's birthday on Thursday and I'm going to use them as decoration. I'm giving a chocolate cake recipe one more try. My friend Robin swears by this recipe but the last time I baked it I thought it was kind of dry. So if it doesn't turn out this time the recipe is dead to me.
Then I took a beautiful nap. Watched some television. And got an ice cream cone at Mitchells. Mitchells is a San Francisco ice cream shop that is fantastic. If you visit I'll take you there.
Speaking of dead to me, my grandmother's sister, Mary died Friday night. Aunt Mary was always unhappy. Or at least she seemed to be. I was always a little afraid of her to be honest. She didn't really say very much. When she would come visit she would just sit at the kitchen table or in a recliner in the living room. I don't know that I ever really saw her walk. I'm sure she did because how else could she have gotten to the table? Unless she was a witch and she just apparated. (A Harry Potter word for pop from here to there.) But I don't think she was a witch. I do remember that when I would leave the house to go somewhere she would say, "be paticular babeh." Translation, "be particular baby." Now I don't have any idea what that means. But I would always just say, "okay." Seemed like the best response. What this really means though is that my grandmother and her sister are the only ones left of an entire genergation, which feels weird to me. Their picture is at the top of this post. And while Aunt Mary sort of made them crazy too, she was their sister and they are grieving today. They'll miss her.
Be paticula babies!
2 comments:
I empathize with your cereal grief. A couple years ago, in a tiny grocery store on the north shore of Kauai, I came across Kashi Medley cereal and fell in love. But I haven't been able to find it since, even in huge mega grocery stores. Before that, I loved Raisin Squares (shredded wheat filled with raisin) and that got harder and harder to find, only certain grocery stores carried it, and now it has completely disappeared. As has Triples, which I also loved. Sigh. Where have all the good cereals gone?!
Did you know the Kashi headquarters are here in San Diego? When you come visit next month bring an extra suitcase and we'll load you up with all the Go Lean Crunch you can eat! In fact, I'm having some now in your honor...
Post a Comment