Friday, June 29, 2007

I break for the IPhone

Happy Birthday to the IPhone!
As I promised yesterday today's topic is why I love a Mac. My gateway drug was the IPod. I got a Christmas bonus a few years ago and decided with it I would buy an ipod. I loved having all my music on one device that I could take with me anywhere.
It wasn't as if this was my first forray into all things Macdome. I used a Mac some when I worked in the registrars office in graduate school. And of course my friend Copey is a total Mac geek. But until the IPod I had never bought anything Apple related. Instead I was a PC man. But once I had the IPod in my precious little hands I couldn't get enough. I would walk by the Apple store in the mall and dream of the day I might own a Mac all for myself. So last summer the camp I was directing at the time needed a computer to do end of week camp video projects. And we used a borrowed Mac in previous years so it was never a question what sort of computer we would use. I bought a Macbook. I set up the computer. It was beautiful. I knew that the PC I had been using at home would never satisfy me again. And sure enough I began to look at my PC with total and utter disdain. I know for many of you the PC is the one and only. But for me once I went Mac I never went back.
Now there is this annual event held in San Francisco called MacWorld. (I call it geekworld.) My friend Copey is a regular attender. (He is a big ol' geek.) So this year I attented with him, including the keynote presented by Steve Jobs. This was the keynote where he first introduced the IPhone. Seriously that was all it took. That was it. I was hooked. I drank the Kool Aid. I was a total and complete Mac addict. I wanted to have my picture taken with the IPhone. I had only a few weeks earlier gotten a smart phone of my own, but after that keynote my brand new phone was crap!!! It had buttons for God's sake. Buttons!!!
A few weeks later I owned a Macbook and the church bought a new IMac. And it is fantastic. I can videochat. I can make IMovies. (Now I know all of you PC users can do those things too. But it is not the same.) It is so easy to use.
Now I won't be waiting in line for an IPhone and I won't even be buying an IPhone anytime soon. This is because of two things (a) it costs too much and (2) I still have about a year and a half on my current contract. (I know I said for (a) and for (2). Shout out to MS and Mel) But let's just be clear I will have one. I may not need one, but I will have one. It is beautiful.
I know I probably need some help.

Over and Apple My Peeps

No comments: