Saturday, October 6, 2007

That is not cool!

It's Saturday night, I'm finished with my sermon. I've made macaroni and cheese and it is on the counter cooling. I'll put it in the refrigerator so that it will be cool and solid by tomorrow evening when we are ready to deep fry it. Yay. And it is only 9:30. I was expecting to be working much later.
I've been in a workshop all day. It was really great, but it was all day on a Saturday. The speaker was John Bell. He is a hymn writer and theologian from Scotland. He is from the community that I want to visit on my sabbatical--Iona, Scotland. It really was a great day. We mostly just sang all day. The hymns that he writes focus on social justice. And they are beautiful. And they are real. The don't water down theological language. THey talk about real life and what and why people believe. And he has a Scottis accent. How can you go wrong with that?
One last thing, before I start getting ready for bed. The other day when I yelled, okay not really yelled, at the old lady, I had another incident. I was sitting at a table with two ladies for lunch. Another woman sat down. She started talking about how she had lost some weight. Well in a self-depricating way I said I found all the pounds she lost. Well one of the other women at the table said "yeah I can see that in your face." OH MY GOD! You aren't supposed to say that. Even if it is true you aren't supposed to agree with the person who says that. Even if it is true. The most you should say is "Oh no, you don't look like you've gained any weight." But at least just snicker and don't say anything. Seriously, that just isn't right.

Alright, good night. I'm goign to hope that I lose some of the weight I'm retaining in my face over night.

Peace out!

3 comments:

Ellen said...

That is so wrong.
How old was this lady? I just read an article about older people losing their speech inhibitions as they get older because their frontal lobe, which controls that sort of thing, shrinks with age. So if this was an older woman who said this to you, maybe she at least has a neurological excuse.

Rev. K.T. said...

I totally agree with neurological depreciation with age. There is no longer any "censor" button and it's totally annoying.

As for the self-deprecating thought: I've noticed you always draw attention to your "double chin" in your talky blogs. I so do NOT see that!!! Maybe you were retaining water or something when this woman made her comment, but I so do NOT see it. and yes, it was totally RUDE!

Can't wait to hear about the macaroni

Rev. K.T. said...

P.S. (is it a p.s. if it's in a blog? or is it b.s.?) I LOVE Jon Bell!!! Wish he would come to Sebring. LOL!