Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A big ol' wad of fear and anxiety

Today has been a very long day. I had an on-line chat that began at 9 AM, but because my cleaning lady comes every other Wednesday, this being that Wed., I had to go to my office for the chat. So I was out of the house earlier than normal. (I know some of you get out much earlier than this. But this isn't your blog now is it.) (Oh and yes I have a cleaning lady. Don't judge me. I realized that i have two conflicting issues: cleanliness and laziness.)
Anyway then I had to be in Oakland at noon for an all afternoon meeting. This meeting happens once a month. It is a gathering of local Baptist clergy. We gather for lunch, BLT, Baptists Lunching Together, at an assisted living facility. Yes I said at an Assisted Living Facility. And when you look around the room at the people gathered there is a lot of gray hair. And then the board of the organization that sponsors the lunch meets and I'm on the board. So I get there for a fairly crappy lunch and am there until 4. Today I had corn & carrots, stuffing, and turkey pot pie. How much more starch can one fit into a single meal? Then during the board meeting I got frustrated with an old lady. She always frustrates me and so I have little patience with her. So often she will say something and I'll just say, "no you don't need that" or "that doesn't make any sense." I say this with much less compassion than I might to someone else. Board meetings frustrate me. I don't really like the way I behave in these meetings. It's not that I am just plain out mean. I just think I'm not very centered. I need to figure out how I can be more centered.
Then tonight I had a meeting from six to eight at the church. FInally, I got home about 8:20 for dinner. And I watched this new show on ABC called Pushing Up Daisies. It was pretty good. Quirky and interesting premise. It had some great lines. My favorite was "I wish I could give you an emotional heimlich and make you cough up a big wad of fear and anxiety." Seriously, isn't that fantastic? But now here is the absolute best part. Three of the actors are Kristin Chenoweth, Swoosie Kurtz and the woman who played the lead in the movie version of Little Shop of Horrors. All Broadway actresses. Love them. Love it!!!

It's time for Top Chef.

Peace out!

2 comments:

msizzle said...

A few comments: first of all, I think many of us have people like the older lady you find it hard to be nice to. I know I have a few. Secondly, I loved Pushing Daisies. I think Ellen Greene is the woman from Little Shop of Horrors. And finally, can we talk about Top Chef???? Call me.

Ellen said...

A day full of meetings - ugh! No wonder you feel so tired. I hate days like that. They make me feel exhausted and yet like I have accomplished absolutely nothing.