Honestly, I'm not the person who encourages conversations with strangers. This might be the reason why I'm still single, but that's me. However, yesterday I went to lunch at my favorite little diner down the street from my house. I sat at the counter as I usually do, and almost immediately the woman sitting two seats over from began talking with me. Now technically she was almost directly across from me because the seat between us was actually on the curve of the counter. She was this little old lady and she did not stop talking. At one point I started to look down at the journal that I was going to read, but decided I was just going to sit and listen to this woman. I was guessing that she was lonely and so it didn't cost me anything to listen to her. But seriously she did not stop talking. I couldn't hear all of what she was saying. But she was talking a lot about books. She asked me if I had been to our new library. But I hadn't because it only just opened and as you know I've been sick. She was excited to be going to the library which is in the same block as the diner, but thought it was unfortunately the library didn't have a fireplace. Her version of heaven was a library full of books with a fireplace. She actually told me this. And she told me about all these pleasant memories she had throughout her life. And then the best parts were that she kept saying that she was interrupting my lunch but then she didn't stop talking. She was done eating when I arrived but didn't leave until right before I did. The other great thing was that she completely stole the menu. I saw her tuck it right into her bag. And then she headed off to the library. And I went on my way. I don't even know what to make of this experience. I'm just noticing it and hope that I have other experiences similar to it.
Went to Borders today looking for a book for my sermon on Sunday. I looked the book up on the internet to see if this Borders had it and the website said that it did. I also was going to buy a book my friend Clark had been talking about. But I couldn't remember what the name of the book was. So I called him on his cell phone. I think he answered the phone but I think he was trying to turn it off because he was engaged in some business conversation. But the thing is he didn't turn off the phone, instead he answered it. But I'm assuming that the phone stayed in either a bag or his pants. Because I could hear a muffled version of his conversation. Not enough that is was some violation of some confidentiality, just enough to know that I was hearing a conversation. It was also weird to think that I was hearing this from inside his pants. Finally I just turned off the phone. Then I got to the Borders and they didn't the book I was looking for for my sermon. So I the trip was sort of a bust. But then I ended up buying three other books. Doh!
So there you have it. I'm headed off to have dinner at a friends house. Then tomorrow I'm most likely going to participate in a Community Emergency Response Training. I'm going to be a victim. My friend Sean is a firefighter and he asked me to volunteer. To which I asked will there be food and he said yes. I think basically all I have to do is lye around and play dead. I'll let you know.
Peace out!
2 comments:
I hope no one grabs your crotch.
Unless it's a cute and available guy. (Who's oddly into hitting on "dead" people?)
Post a Comment