Sunday, August 26, 2007

Porn and the mayor of Smell-town

I did my one days work. I arrived in San Francisco last night at 5:30 and drove right to Hayward, about an hour away. There I had dinner with some parisioners for our annual cookout. And we also contineud to talk about our congregation's future. Now the congregation's future is really the least important part of this story. This house is crazy. The couple who own and live in the house collect a lot of stuff. I mean a lot of stuff and the house feels a lot like my parents house, cluttered, cluttered, cluttered. But here is the thing. We ate inside, which already was making me uncomfortable, because at least outside I dont' have to look at the clutter and to be honest the dirt. But here it the thing. You are not going to believe this. Not five feet away from the dining room table was a huge stack of porn. (Magazines) And on the very top was a picture of a naked man with an erect penis. I am not making this up. Now here is the thing, I don't really have a problem with porn. I'm talking mostly about gay porn. Straight porn is pretty exploitive and gay porn can be too. But gay porn I look at, I like. And I'm really not ashamed of that. However, I'm not gonna just leave it lying around. And in some ways I thing kudos for not feeling you have to hide anything. But come on!! Crazy!!!!

Then today I worked worship. It was fine, but now I'm officially back on vacation. This afternoon I saw a movie with some friends. Stardust. It was great. Such a great fairy tale. Felt a lot like The Princess Bride. There was, however, this smell that kept wafting through the theatre. It was nasty! N-A-S-T-Y!!! And it didn't just stay. It kept coming and going so my nose never had a chance to adjust to the smell. I think it had to be a person, but I wonder how does one not know that they smell that bad. I just don't get it. But go see Stardust you probably wont have Smelly McSmellerson sitting next to you.

I have three or four days here in town and then I head up to teh Russian River again on Thursday through Tuesday for a retreat with my young clergy group. Yay!! I'm really excited.

Until tomorrow folks. For the love of God bathe!

No comments: