Hollaaaa! It is Sunday night. That means I have begun my day off. Yay! And that also means that I only have a few more days and then I'm on vacation. Ahh Yeah! I leave on Friday for a week away. Then I'll return on Saturday, August 25. I'll work on Saturday night the 25th and Sunday the 26th and then I'm off for the next week through Labor Day weekend. I'm working the 25th and 26th because it worked out logistically for me to be away next weekend adn so instead of being away for 3 Sundays in a row I'm going to show up for the middle weekend of my vacation. But it is a combined service with the Methodist church and I'm not preaching or plannign the service. So all I have to do is show up. Seriously I can hardly wait.
Today was also a combined service between my congregation and the Methodist church. It was their graduation recognition Sunday. Then I also did a meditation on lectio divina and we practiced the prayer. (Lectio Divina is a prayer in which using the Bible or some other sacred text or text, but primarily the Bible the person is invited to listen for God speaking through the text.) A mother of one of the graduates picked the special music for the day. The graduated directed the choir and then sang this really old song with two friends of his. I planned the service and I had to work really hard to keep the service from just becoming all about this kid. The songs she had the choir sing were 100 years--that Ben Folds Five, Rob Thomasesque song ...la,la,la it's 15 years to the moment la,la,la. Don't really know all the words so I don't know how it really fits. Then the other song the choir sang was Bring Him Home. It is from Les Miserable. Jean Val Jean is singing a prayer to God to brign Marcus home from war without him dying. This kid is leaving home for college not going to war. But all in all despite the songs I felt pretty good about the service. I wrote some of the prayers and I was really proud of what I wrote. I also was reminded of how much I really like to write for worship. I don't it nearly as much as I would like to. I get in the habit of just chosing something out of a resource when in reality I have a ton of time. I hope I will remember this more often.
Alright, that's it. I'm sorry for all of you who have to work on Mondays. But then you all get two days off during the weekend.
Peace out!
2 comments:
To the tune of Bring Him Home
(shmaltzy music box intro)
God it’s high…
This song’s too high!
Pity me, change the key.
Bring it down, bring it down.
It’s to high, It’s to high! Much to hiiiiiiigh.
All I want to know is did the bells play?
Have a great vacation!
I, too, love writing prayers and other liturgy for worship. Writing the prayers is essentially an act of prayer for me. Which is good since I don't always feel too prayerful when delivering the actual prayer during the service, whether because I am worried about the mic not working or the fact that the woman in the back pew is mad that the organist played the wrong notes during the last hymn, etc, etc. So I encourage you to remember your love for worship writing and to treasure that gift whenever you can.
Post a Comment