Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A cowboy and a prom dress

Do you ever wish you could save images that you see as you are going through life. I don't mean the pictures or the videos that you shoot of important moments like weddings, children's birthdays, or day you ate a really good piece of fried chicken. (Is that last one just me?) No I mean moments that are completely random. You are the only one to witness it but you really want to share it with the people you know. But it is an image that seems almost impossible to describe in words. I know there are people who have cameras with them all the time. I am not one of those people, nor, do I think, are most people. So you can probably get where I'm going with this. I've had a couple of instances recently where I witnessed something which I wished I could preserve in history. But I had no camera, so I'm going to try and describe them.
Keep in mind these are not stories, but just moments.

The first is a woman crossing the street. This was Monday it was about 2 in the afternoon. And she was crossing the street not at a crosswalk but in the middle of the street. She was moving very slowly--I'm assuming she had some mobility issue. And here is the part I wanted really to preserve. She was wearing a bright pink prom dress. It could have been a bridesmaid dress but you get the picture. She also had on a back sweater, because I'm assuming it was chilly and this appeared to be a sleeveless dress. Nice right? (I'm guessing she was probably homeless or mentally ill, so I'm not making fun of her, I'm just saying it was a great image.)

The second I witnessed today. I was walking down to a coffee shop to work and get a chocolate dipped macaroon. (I'm comfort eating, don't judge me!) Anyway, in my little quiet neighborhood. I saw an older man in a cowboy hat holding a guitar. Not playing a guitar. Holding a guitar. It was not in a case. He was just holding it by the neck of the guitar. And he was looking around like he was lost. It was if a street musician had somehow wondered in my neighborhood and was looking for all the crowds. Or perhaps he was a visitor from another time-- you know a time traveler. And I was the only one to witness some cowboy, spaghetti western, movie actor being thrown into the year 2008. Ooh, I hope that is what it is.

Anyway, those are the moments I want to preserve. Do you have any images that you have witnessed that you wished you had a permanent record of? Or have you time traveled and want to confess it on YouCanCallMeDixie? Come on, share.

Peace out!

1 comment:

Rev. K.T. said...

I occasionally have pictures that form in my head that I wish I could transcribe into words or works of art but I don't have the talent. Images are prominent, but I can't make the leap from my head to my fingers and so I wonder what it means when they are left upon my imagination.