Monday, February 25, 2008

"Does Hollywood need a hug?"

I don't even know where to begin. Yesterday was my last Sunday before my sabbatical starts. It was a combined worship service with the Methodist church. It was okay. it felt a little manic and out of control. The person who was supposed to set up the sound system showed up at 10:50--the service was starting at 11. And of course he had never set up the equipment before so at 11:01 he and the pastor, Lauren, were still fiddling with the equipment. Then I was really nervous with the sermon. Even though I was really only talking about what I was going to do on my sabbatical. But my hands were shaking. I ran into the sanctuary in my running clothes and talked about hydrating. I started by filling up an empty cup with water. Then at the end of the sermon time I invited everyone to write on a paper cup what rehydrates them, what refreshes their souls. Then to come forward and fill up their cups with water. But I also tried to say too much--so I was hurrying through and so we ran late. And I wasn't using a manuscript, hence the reason I didn't post a sermon. We skipped a song. But a few things happened that are worth mentioning. First at the end of the service the kids came in from Sunday school with cards they had made for me. It was so sweet. Then they had a cake for me in coffee hour. Now of course my congregation had nothing to do with it. But I would have been really surprised if they had. My congregation reminded me of who they were too though. The guy who often shares during concerns and celebrations about his cannibalistic birds shared another concern yesterday. A concern that my colleague Lauren had to take part in. In the Methodist church the person leading concerns and celebrations walks around the room with a microphone Phil Donahue style. So that everyone can hear. Well anyway the parishioner shared that the big cats at the SF zoo had reentered their new and improved, aka safer, habitat this week. And then went on to say that the zoo was looking for a mate for Tony the tiger who apparently was formerly Tatiana's mate. (Tatiana was the cat that attacked the people on Christmas day and was then shot.) Seriously, he had us pray that the zoo would find a new mate for Tony the Tiger. And then Lauren couldn't understand what he was saying. So she had him repeat it. I couldn't look. I was also really glad that I wasn't the one walking around with the mic.
Then last night I went to an oscar party. And the best part of watching the Oscars on the west coast is that I was home by 9:30. It was over by 9:00. Woo Hoo! And I don't mean to suggest that is the best part of the Oscars--only the best part of it on the west coast. I love, love, love the Oscars. It is a gay high holy day. My favorite moment last night was when John Stewart brought the female songwriter back out to give her speech. It was so sweet. What I wondered about was why Miley Cyrus was there. Huh? How did that happen? I also of course loved Kristen Chenoweth singing that song from Enchanted, even though I think the song and dance was a bit of a train wreck. But she did just find out a week ago that she was performing. So despite all of that she completely rocked it. I also felt sorry for Amy Adams, who I love. She is not a singer and she had to come out and sing all alone on a bare stage. What happened to all the spectacle that was in all the other songs. But all things considered she did a nice job. I really like her. If you haven't seen Junebug which she was nominated for last year you should rush out and rent it now.
Alright that is it. It is the night I'm going to work on my taxes. I have to finish up so I can send it off to my accountant before I leave town next week. So tonight it the night.
Peace out!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I love that you ran into the sanctuary in your running clothes and filled up a cup of water to rehydrate. What a great image. People will remember that one. And I also love that you had them write their rehydration needs on their own cups and then fill them. I had thought about doing something with paper cups and water with my churches on Sunday, but I couldn't come up with anything more meaningful than passing out cups of water and that seemed like a lot of work for not much meaning, so I skipped it. Your idea sounds much more effective.
Congrats on starting your sabbatical!!

Rev. K.T. said...

I really like your creative sermon.