Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

I'm thinking about Dad's today. Specifically, I'm thinking about the fact that my niece and nephews are missing their father today. So I talked with them. It was good. The tombstone was place on the grave this week. It is interesting that they don't even call them tombstones anymore, instead it is a grave marker. Boy do we want to sanitize death.

So anyway I'm grateful for my Dad. I'm grateful that I have had a long time to know him. Granted, he has made me crazy much of my adult life, but still I am grateful that he is still around. (My parents celebrated their 45th wedding anniversary yesterday.) I was particularly grateful today for what he has taught me, how to change a flat tire. I got in the car this morning to move it so I could get to the washing machine and I noticed that it was leaning to the left. Since my garage is level and not slanted I thought this wasn't quite right. And sure enough a tire was flat. I had apparently run over a nail.

I remember when my Dad taught me how to change a tire. It was my junior year of high school. My friend Ingrid and I had gone to take a picture for the yearbook. It was the cheerleader's group picture. Anyway we were driving my dad's big white pick-up truck. As we were leaving I ran over a curb and that was all it took. I blew the tire and I had no idea how to change it. So I called my Dad who came to the rescue. But really he came to teach me how. You know the buy a man a fish he eats for a day, etc.... So he taught me how and I've never forgotten. And I've changed a number of tires since, including one in a large suburban at 2 am in the middle of the dark Georgia woods. But that is another story for another day.

So today I'll say thanks Dad.

Peace out!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Those of us who were with you in that suburban are also thankful to your Dad for teaching you how to change a flat tire on a big truck!

Blythe said...

Yes, that story is exactly the one I was thinking of as I read this post. In the moment it sure sucked, but as a memory it kind of makes me smile...