Thursday, April 24, 2008

Greetings from Scotland

Hello all,

I'm having a great time in Scotland. I spent the weekend in New York where I saw three musicals: Young Frankenstein, Curtains, and Spamalot. They were all great. I spend Saturday morning in Central Park--it was a beautiful sunny day--perfect weather for reading New York Times. Although, I wish I had a pair of shorts with me becaus it got a little warm.
I have one nagging question about the subways. Down in one of the stations there were several groups of Scientologists--they were offering the free stress tests. On the other end of the subway station was a large group of evangelical Christians passing out flyers and screaming out mini-sermons. So here is my question: How did they decide who got which side of the station? Also, are there poor people in Scientology? And if so what does Scientology offer poor people?

I got to Endinburgh on Tuesday afternoon--had a four hour or so layover in Amsterdam. Checked in to our lovely bed and breakfast, the Ayden. The owners are Debbie and Ennis. They are, we are assuming, a lesbian couple. Ennis is the cook and Debbie is clearly the hostess. They are both great, but Debbie is especially delightful. Tuesday night we wondered down to this little bistro for dinner that Debbie had suggested. What we latered realized was that is was Edinburgh's "gay"borhood." Can you believe it? We are in Edinburgh less than a few hours and we have already found our people. (Oh yeah, I'm traveling with my friend Copey--also a big ol' queen.)

Yesterday after our delicious breakfast, we took a tour of Edinburgh castle. It was interesting in the historical sense. After that we did the Scottish Whisky experience. It was a little kitschy but it included a whisky tasting. So all memories of how tacky it was was essentially wiped from our memories. I think I may have become a whisky drinker. (This is quite a leap from my usual fruity cocktails.)

This morning I had haggis, a Scottish delicacy. It is essentially sheep intestins filled with spices and such. And I had black pudding which is all of that plus pork blood. Now it sounds disgusting, but let me tell you it was tasty. I loved it. Today we are off to Holyrood palace, the queens residence when she is in Edinburgh and then the Britannia, the royal yacht.

We have not and don't plan to pack too much in to any of our days. And so far it has been really great. Leisurely breakfasts, brief excursions and walks and then a nice leisurely dinner. I want to live like this always.

Alright, keep checking back I'll write when able.

Cheers!

Oh, and welcome to the world Hannah and Isaac.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I'm green with envy. I'm go glad you are having a great time in Scotland.

Lee Swain said...

Wait, Brian....don't you live like this always? Kidding of course! Glad to hear you are having a good time.

Rev. K.T. said...

you sound relaxed -- that's good.

Amy W-P said...

Isn't Edinburgh wonderful? I'm remembering all of these places as you talk about them. If you get a chance -- go to St. Andrews. It's SOOOOO worth the trip.