Saturday, March 1, 2008

Controlling, Me?

So I know I said yesterday that I was on sabbatical. But that wasn't quite right. I had to meet some parishoners, Dave & Jeff, today for lunch and specifically give the treasurer, Dave, a few last pieces of information. I did that today. And while I was there he got a call from another member called. Dave said "Oh it's Phillip--from church." Then he took the phone call to another room. I had no idea what they were talking about. And I couldn't figure out why in the world Phillip would be calling Dave to begin with. And it was driving me crazy. I really wanted to know what they were talking about. It was all I could think about. And the longer the conversation went on the more I wanted to know. I'm beginning to think letting go during my sabbatical might be more difficult than I thought it would be. I think I believe that they are incapable of surviving without me. Or more accurately, I am indispensable. Now rationally I know that is not true, but irrationally its a different story. And I have to say I think this might be one of the reasons I need a sabbatical now. Yeah, I think this is going to be a real challenge for me. Sabbath is a practice. Tomorrow I'm going to keep working on it.

Peace out!

3 comments:

Ellen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ellen said...

Now I want to know what they were talking about too! Sorry, that probably doesn't help you to let go, but at least you know you're not the only one with control issues!

Unknown said...

Work on what? In the time I have known you I would never call you controlling. You are responsible person making sure everything is covered. Once you leave town those feeling will go away. Enjoy yourself and see you Saturday.