Cagey-C said that by reading my blog it appears that I see a lot of movies, to which I responded what else am I going to do. I say this because since my last post I have seen two movies at the theater and two on netflix. I'm only going to talk about the movies that I saw in the theater. (The movies I saw on Netflix were Eighteen, gay flick not very good but I've seen worse, and a filming of the staged musical Sunday in the Park with George, starring Mandy Patinkin and Benadette Peters.)
This afternoon I saw Across the Universe. This is the film that is a musical with Beatles music. It was directed and written by Julie Taymor. She directed The Lion King on Broadway, that was and is fantastic. Well anyway the imagery in the movie was really spectacular. Some amazing cinematography. I thought it was a beautifully made movie. However, and here is a big however, I was bored. B-O-R-E-D!!! I was beginning to think we weren't getting out until they covered the entire Beatles songbook. (Perhaps this means that i-tunes will have the soundtrack available and one will finally be able to download some Beatles tunes.) It lasted probably about 2 hours but to me it felt like 4. It just dragged on and on and on. Best momemts: the end, a scene where the main character is pinning strawberries to a canvas with his friend in the background at war in Vietnam all while singing Strawberry Fields, and Bono making a cameo and singing I Am A Walrus. (That might not be the exact name of the Beatles song, forgive me if I get it wrong. Never been a huge fan of the Beatles.)
Now to the movie I saw yesterday, The Brave One. This is the movie where Jodi Foster plays a woman who wants revenge for the killing of her fiance so she goes on this vigilante killing spree. It was good. I saw an interview with her on The Daily Show where she talked about the fact that it can be taken on two levels. One is a Charles Bronson action pic with a woman instead of a man. The other is a social commentary on guns and violence. The premise is that anyone is capable of violent acts if their lover, spouse, child, etc. have been hurt or are in danger. Therefore, it is probably not a good idea for guns to be the hands of average citizens. I get that. And certainly understood her desire for revenge. But there were a few things that disturbed me, first Terrence Howard. i just find him a little weird. And his character does something in the end that was really disturbing, I won't give it a way. The other thing that disturbed me was people in the theatre cheering when she got revenge. Cheering?! She blew someone's head off. Wow it just made me really uncomfortable. It also made me hope that no one in the theater had a gun.
Oh, and I was glad I didn't have a gun. Because sitting behind me were two girls who talked in full voice during the movie. At one point one of the girls got up and left, making a lot of noise. Then what did I hear, but the girl still sitting behind me talking on her cell phone again in full voice. I shhssd her and she just looked at me like I was disturbing her conversation. Finally, the friend came back and they both left. Why even come to the movie if you are going to talk the whole time? I hate that. See good thing I didn't have a gun. Although, I probably wouldn't have shot them for just talking in a movie.
Alright, well I'm off to write my sermon.
Oh, and I got a call from the tv repair service it is only going to cost me $125.27 to fix the tv, which is still cheaper than a new tv. And it should be back in a few days. Yay!!!
All you need is love.
2 comments:
Loving the flow of annoying girls talking, confession that you would not use a gun (probably) to silence them, and that you have to write your sermon. Ahh, I love pastoral honesty!
Yeah! Blog-name dropped in someone else's blog! Shake! And! Bake!
Post a Comment