(1) I love those energy efficient long lasting light bulbs. I've been slowly swapping out the regular bulbs as the regular ones blow. Well I finally replaced one in my bathroom. And I love it. Do you want to know why? Well I'll tell you. The reason is that it takes a little while for them to warm up. Which means that the initial light is kind of dim. Well in the bathroom this is great because when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night instead of getting this bright light blinding me I get a nice soft initial light. And that is with only one energy efficient bulb. Just wait until both bulbs are changed. It's great, and I'm helping the planet. Woo hoo!
(2) I went to a Christmas concert with a parishioner on Sunday evening. It wasn't great, but the parishioner has been kind of lonely lately so I did it for him. Anyway on the way back somehow he started telling me about the fact that vanity and narcissism were too different things. I think it started with him telling me about some quote he had read in the paper: "I'm not narcissistic. I'm just vain. There is a difference." So then he started telling me that the difference is that someone who is narcissistic is turned on by themselves. Then he told me that he thinks he is a little bit narcissistic because when he was younger and dressed in leather he would look in the mirror and get off. And then he told me that his late partner also like for him to dress in leather and then the partner would watch him get off and that the partner would also get off. Now here is the thing, I don't really care about the leather getting off stuff. I'm not into leather, but alright, whatever. But what icks me out just a little is that he told me about it. Ewww. I have learned things about my parishioners that I never ever wanted to know.
4 comments:
Totally icky. Way worse than any of the gross medical details I usually hear. Why do people feel compelled to share this information about themselves? How does this help us care for them pastorally?
It does amaze me how your parishioners share a lot of info sometimes.
THIS is pastoral ministry, unfortunately they don't teach this part in seminary.
I was telling Bill about how many of my old people I've seen in their undies . . . or worse. It's like -- oh, it's the pastor -- nothing to hide here! One old guy ALWAYS welcomed me at the dining room table while he was wearing his tighty whities. I know I have boundaries. Where are theirs?
Post a Comment