Wednesday, November 7, 2007

What happened to your organ?

I just got home from Chorus practice. Our concert is next weekend, not two days from now but nine days from now. I think we sound fine. I left early because it had been a long day. (Seriously, I actually had a long day of work stuff.) The pastor I work with who invited me to join the chorus left a message on my answering machine this afternoon telling me she realized she was not going to be able to be at the dress rehearsals next week and asked me if I would tell the director she didn't think she was going to be able to sing in the chorus. No I'm not going to tell the director that. And I didn't. Crazy?!? I am going to be late for the Tuesday dress rehearsal next week. We are having two because our concerts are in two different venues. And I only actually read the calendar tonight and realized we have two dress rehearsals and not one. It's not new information I just didn't read clearly the information. A few weeks ago I realized one of our concerts was in Berkeley not San Francisco and a few weeks ago realized that our two concerts were on Friday and Sunday not Friday and Saturday. Again I had all this information I just wasn't paying attention. Can you tell I'm not all that committed to this group. Although, I do find the president of the chorus to be pretty cute. And I'm flirting with him and by that I mean I'm not talking to him, rarely making contact, and when he is making announcements to the group I'm thinking how cute he is. How is it that he and I aren't married yet and adopting our first Himalayan whistle child? I really can't figure it out.
But now here is the real point of all of this. Tonight I remembered a story that will be hard to recreate in writing but I'll try. Last week at rehearsal Larry, the director, told about one of the concert venues, specifically one of the venue's organ. Apparently, it was a big fancy organ--I don't really know. And apparently it was new. Well the varnish on the organ crystalized. When he said this, many in the chorus gasped in horror. Gasped! Literally, oxygen was sucked out of the room. I still don't even know what any of this means except that the organ has to be taken apart and we are going to have to use their old organ. At the church I was a member of in Atlanta there was a big ol' handcarved organ, but I still don't know what crystalized varnish would do to such a thing. I also have to say regardless it doesn't really deserve a gasp like you've just witnessed a travesty of justice like when Dolly Parton didn't win the academy award but instead lost it to the it's hard out here for a pimp song, or when you've just heard that someone has never seen Steel Magnolias or Nine to Five. Come on priorities people.
This reminds me of a story from college. We were sitting at a table in the dining hall and I overheard a story coming from a group of music majors. They were talking about someone's wedding that was something like nine or ten months away. This one woman was saying this, "Can you believe it the wedding is nine months away and they don't even have an organist yet?" No I cannot believe that. Nor could I believe that Sanjaya lasted so long on American Idol, but some things are just incomprehensible.
Alright I've said enough. Until tomorrow.

Peace out!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

The title of your post reminds me of my first year at Princeton, when there was a brand new organ installed and we multiple concerts and worship services to dedicate and praise the organ. The student-produced comedy show that year was all about worshiping the big organ. No subtlety there!