Alright, I'm going to begin today's posts with some answers and responses to some comments on previous posts.
(1) There were 3 female smurfs (a) smurfette, (b) sassette smurfling--apparently there were a group of smurfs called smurflings whose age decreased, the smurflings created sassette, she had red hair and (c) nanny smurf, I guess nanny smurf took care of baby smurf. Found this all on a website devoted to the smurfs. You can google it.
(2) Cider is a delicious alcoholic beverage that is basically apple cider left to ferment. My personal favorite is Scrumpy Jack. It originates in Cornwall in the south of England. I however found it the local gay bar here in Edinburough. The bar is called The Street. We asked a waitress where we might go and she suggested it but it sounded like she was saying "The Straight." This seemed a bit ironic for a gay bar. But after asking her to repeat it a couple of times we just decided to walk to where she was directing us.
(3) Normally they do not have ice in most drinks in the UK. However, I have noticed here in Edinburough that when we ask for a pitcher of tap water they usually bring it with ice in it. I have also noticed that often my cider here in Edinburough comes with ice. That was not the case at the Iona pub nor at a pub right out of the train station. We stopped there yesterday on our way to our guest house. A new friend of our Peter invited us to have a pint before we headed our seperate ways. So anyway I think they might be offering ice more and more for the American tourists who can't imagine life without it. I did however have a tepid canned coca-cola on the train yesterday.
Now with that out of the way I'll just say that we are back in Edinburough for the next two days. We leave for America as they say here on Monday. I'm sure I'll write more about my experience on Iona. I took many pictures that I'll post of few of here and all of on my flikr account. It was really beautiful. A good experience but not quite what I expected. But again more about that later.
Today we hope to see Dolly the cloned sheep. She is at the Scottish Museum. I'm fairly certain she is dead and stuffed as opposed to just wondering freely about the museum. So apparently they were able to create life just not life that was sustainable. Or perhaps they killed her so that they could cut her open and study her. Not a pleasant thought, eh?
We are now staying at the Fraoch Guest House. Two doors down from our guest house last week. Last week's house was run by two lesbians. I had haggis, stuffed sheep intestines. Sounds disgusting but delicious. This house could be run by a gay man, but we are still trying to discern that. I'm imagining that he is and that we will fall in love and I'll move to Scotland for us to run the house together, adopting some international child and living happily ever after. Perhaps I've gotten a wee big ahead of myself.
Favorite new words: (1) Wee-used it above. Used to denote small, but not always. I'm also not quite sure when it is appropriate to use and not. (2) Aye means yes. and (3) Parky, pronounced paaah-key, means cold. For instance "It is beautiful out but a bit parky." That is what our new mate Peter said the last night on Iona.
Alright enough for now. I can write a little more here because the computer use is free here in the house. Yay!
Cheers.
2 comments:
thank you for setting me straight on the smurfs and the cider. Your time in Scotland has sounded very interested. I look forward to seeing pictures and hearing stories, especially using your new sexy Scottish accent.
hey bri--we miss you! glad to hear you've had such a great trip. hannah and isaac are both home and are doing great. don't know if you've been checking email, but i did have a setback last week...thought it was muscle pain but it turned out to be a pulmonary embolism. had to be put back in the hospital for four days, so mark took care of hannah alone. good man! i came home on tuesday and isaac came home on wednesday. i'm done with hospitals! we're doing our best with some help from friends and church people, but i'm still on serious pain meds for the lung damage caused by the embolism.we can't wait to see you and have hannah and isaac meet their uncle brian! we love you!
Post a Comment